A dedicated group of DwD members engaged in a year-end retreat and participatory planning session Saturday, December 15. Facilitated as an Appreciative Inquiry by Greg, Peter and Patricia, we explored the inspirations from over a dozen incredible workshops in 2012, our dreams for the new year, and the opportunities for designing actions for our near future.
Using the Group Pattern language card deck, pairs shared about the applicable meaning of selected cards for relevance to DwD practice. The sharing dialogue was sketched to reflect the meaning of its relationship to DwD:
Actions to Continue, Stop, or Start new filled the whiteboard after group reflection on actions and new directions for 2013.
We haven’t synthesized the design plan and next steps from the recommendations yet. The intention with sharing the artifacts here is to share with the whole community the ideas, interests and new directions supported by core DwD members.
Look for the following changes in 2013:
- Revamp the DwD brand and synch with its support network and communities (OCADU, KMDI, Overlap)
- Publish the pipeline of upcoming DwD sessions and collaborations – invite the entire DwD community to participate in creating and facilitating sessions
- Revise the website to enable bidirectional communication and posting
- Share on the website the individual work we do as a result of learning: Inspirations and facilitated engagements that draw from DwD practice
- DwD for Designers to create dialogue processes
- Invite non-designers to DwD, increase variety and diversity of participation
- Promote visual storytelling, metaphorical design, and embodied practices
- Spinoff DwDx (as TEDx) by supporting non-Toronto affiliates
- “What’s inspiring you lately?” section on website
- Create movement and dance-inspired DwD sessions