Join the Strategic Foresight & Innovation graduate students to explore new ways of learning in Canadian higher education
April’s DwD is convened by an SFI graduate student-led panel to engage in inquiry and a generative dialogue responding to the question:
What new ways of learning, particularly in higher education, will Canadians need to thrive in an evolving society and labour market?
The roundtable and dialogue contributes to Imagining Canada’s Future, the strategic development of next-generation social science for the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) with the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS). Our question is one of their key Future Challenge Areas.
Canada, like many other countries, is at a tipping point in the way its education system, especially higher education, is conceptualized, structured and delivered in light of the knowledge and skills required for the 21st century. The panel will discuss and the audience will explore the following issues:
- What knowledge, skills and delivery methods are required in order for the public education system to create an innovative, resilient and culturally rich society?
- What aspirations and expectations will a diverse and global citizenry bring to the work environments, jobs and labour markets of the future?
- What conditions are needed for new models of research—particularly, co‑creation of knowledge with the public, private and/or not‑for‑profit sectors—to flourish?
- What roles will emerging and/or disruptive information and communication technologies play in learning for individuals, institutions and society?
- What role should individuals, institutions and governments play in promoting and supporting the life cycle of knowledge—including creation, accessibility, retention and mobilization—across sectors, both domestically and internationally?
- How can we harness Canada’s strength and innovation in the arts, digital media and cultural industries to build social, economic and cultural well‑being?
OCAD U faculty and students, as well as members of DwD community are encouraged to attend and participate in the dialogue. A limited number of seats will be available, please RSVP to reserve your spot. Food and refreshments will be provided.
Parts of the event will be captured through images and video. By registering to attend this event you are consenting to the use of the media for productions related to the event. Please contact the organizers if this is a concern. REGISTER AT EVENTBRITE